Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Letters to Ethan

My sweet baby boy,

I guess I can't really say that anymore since you are very much a toddler now.  But, truly, you will always be my baby.

Today is the first of two very difficult days... Your Great-MawMaw Sue passed away on Sunday afternoon.  Tonight and tomorrow, we will be celebrating her life.  This is the first time in quite a while that your Daddy and I have had to deal with losing someone as close to us and loved as much as we loved your Great-MawMaw Sue.  She was very sick.  She had been taken over by a terrible disease - Alzheimer's.  But, I want you to know something.  She loved you dearly.  She would always light up when she saw you.

One day around Christmas of last year, we were visiting with her.  You were around 5 months old.  Her mind had been slipping away from us for some time.  She had already forgotten who I was, and only remembered your Daddy occasionally, if ever.   But, she always wanted to hold you, regardless of who she remembered that day.  We placed you in her arms, and she held onto you so tightly.  She was smiling down at you, as she always did.  Then, her eyes lit up and she said, "I know who you are!"  Your Daddy and I agreed that there was no better Christmas gift than that moment.  We will hold onto it forever.

    
 
I want you to know that you have another guardian angel now. MawMaw Sue loved angels. We have no doubt that she is flying high with them today. She is watching down on you and loving you so very much. She has joined your Great-Granny Hilda, and they will always be with you.
 
Loving you more every day,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment